Join us as a teacher-learner!
Invitation to join Farm Hill Learning Community as a teacher/co-learner!
Are you interested in larger questions about how we live and educate ourselves and our children? Would you like to live on a farm and play/learn with children?
Do you see we need to fundamentally redefine our relationship with nature, especially with our food? Are you ready to get your hands dirty on the journey to explore ideas like truly sustainable living, nature-centered learning, alternative education etc.?
If the answer is "yes," you can join us! Please read the invitation below.
Who we are
Farm Hill (http://farmhill-learning.org) is a neurodiverse community of children and adults learning together in a close-to-nature setting. We are located on a farm near Shoolagiri in Tamil Nadu, about 65 kilometers (1.5 hours of travel) from Bangalore.
We believe education should equip a person to meet life with intelligence and not stop with the mere acquisition of skills to make a living. We wish to live in harmony with ourselves, the society around us, and nature and explore these various dimensions of our being in our life and work. As a neurodiverse community, we also work with children on the Autism spectrum.
We are a semi-residential learning space. Most children come to school on Monday morning and leave on Friday afternoon. Some children live on campus on weekends. All teachers live on campus.
What we offer
- An opportunity to live on a farm and explore deeper questions about life and education
- Freedom to put your ideas into practice, respectful work culture, happy workplace
- Company of like-minded people who may be able to help you along
- Stay at the farm and food
- Competitive salary
What you will do
- Work and learn along with children and other adults – on the farm and in the kitchen
- Design and prepare educational activities and experiences for the children as needed
- Accompany children on field trips, treks and outdoor activities
- Engage with the larger community
What we are looking for
- A deep and abiding interest in the questions and ideas above – alternative education, nature-centric learning, farming, food, neurodiversity, life, education etc.
- Enthusiasm and willingness to do the physical and mental work necessary to engage in these questions and ideas while living on a farm
- Ability to work with other people in a community setting
- Willingness to learn about and develop constructivist curricula based on guided discovery for various subjects in primary and/or middle school
- Ability to write and document one’s teaching-learning practices and help other members of the community do the same
(P.S.: Members of the Farm Hill community speak Tamil, Telugu, Hindi, Kannada, and Malayalam, in addition to English. We would love to invite members who speak other languages as well!)
Educator to handle curriculum development as well as teaching
- in any two of the following subjects: Mathematics, English, Science, History, Geography, and Political Science for Grades 6-10
- Mathematics, English and EVS for primary school
Write to us at firstname.lastname@example.org – tell us about yourself and why you want to join us.
You can also call Venu at +91 84310 32239 or Aditi at +91 98846 44211 if you want to share any questions or thoughts.
We look forward to hearing from you!
No comments yet. Login to start a new discussion Start a new discussion